The Bassac II is entirely built of wood in a hull of "gỗ sao", the now rare essence of wood used traditionally used for building quality ships.
She can accommodate up to 24 passengers in twelve nicely decorated cabins, each with air-con and a private bathroom, and features a 500 sqft restaurant that opens all around, a large galley, a small office room and 1500 sqft of upper deck, mostly covered.
The Bassac II can take her passengers on cruises up to seven days without stopping, and offers a great flexibility in programming your journey. She also is so powerful and has such a shallow draft as to be able to cruise upstream the Mekong or bring you to your destination regardless of the season, the tide or the current.
Class VR-SI, River Cruise
Displacement 190metric tons
Length 105’ / 32m
Beam 25’ /7.80m
Draft 4’2’’ /1.30m half-loaded
Propulsion 2 Cummins 12 liter atmospheric engines designed for 5000 hours operating a year
Navigation Can operate by night and in bad weather
Autonomy 7 days cruise
Owing to its large engines and specially designed hydraulics, the Bassac II can pull up to 12 knots and go upstream the powerful Mekong, even facing strong currents.
As the Bassac II has a shallow draft, she can go through all the main waterways regardless of the tide.
8 cabins in the front of the main deck:
6 with twin bedding, 2 with a double bed.
2 large double-bedded cabins in the front of the hull.
Heat and sound insulation in each cabin.
Air conditioning, private access.
En suite bathroom with shower and toilet
The comfortable cabins are set in the front of the Bassac II or on the upper deck and well insulated so as to provide the passengers with a good night's sleep even if under way. They are entirely fitted with wood, and equipped as rooms in a good hotel. Owing to a large heat exchanger on the main engines, the Bassac II produces enough hot water for many showers a day.
Restaurant and bar
The 500 square feet at the stern of the main deck accommodate the restaurant and the bar can be completely opened to outside for you to enjoy the evening.
Upper deck 1500 square feet, mostly shaded.
The front is fit for sunbathing and rest on sunbathing couches;
The bar at the back welcomes you for a drink outside as the sun sets.
Day 1: Saigon – Caibe – Traon (L, D)
• 8:00 pick up at your hotel in Saigon, transfer to Caibe.
• Boarding at Cai Be at noon. Welcome drink, Introduction to the ship and crew, check into the cabins.
• Departure towards Cho Lach on the Tien Giang river.
• Lunch while on route. Rest on the deck.
• Turning into Cho Lach canal for 30 minutes through the traffic of sand and rice barges, in a scenery of fruit drying facilities and wooden ship building yards.
• Visit of a village on the banks of river Mang Thit, an opportunity to appreciate the way of life and hospitality of the local inhabitants. Visit of the orchard or rice fields nearby.
• Boarding back, complimentary drink as a welcome back on board. Rest on the deck enjoying the sunset. The crew will serve dinner while the Bassac is cruising Mang Thit river.
• The Bassac sets anchor just downstream from the little Tra On floating market, for the night.
Day 2: Tra on – Can Tho (B, L, D)
• Breakfast is available from 06:30, while the ship is cruising the Tra On floating market. The ship then departs towards Can Tho.
• Arrival in Cai Rang floating market, transfer onto a local boat to visit the floating market, the nearby arroyos and gardens and return to the Ninh Kieu pier.
• Boarding back at Ninh Kieu pier. Welcome drink. Departure upstream of the Hau river. Lunch on board while en route.
• Upon arrival at Thot Not, transfer on the longboat to take some walks at the bamboo village in Thot Not.
• Boarding back at dusk, rest on the deck for the sunset while taking somes drinks at the bar.
• The dinner is served on board. The Bassac takes the way back to Can Tho and casts anchor near Can Tho for the night.
Day 3: Can Tho – Saigon (B)
• Breakfast is available from 06:30, while the ship is cruising towards Can Tho city.
• Arrival in Cai Rang floating market, check out and transfer onto a local boat to visit the floating market, the nearby arroyos and gardens and return to the Ninh Kieu pier.
• Arrival at Ninh Kieu, Can Tho, late morning. Then disembark. The car and driver pick up you, transfer to hotel in Saigon. Drop off at your hotel. End of tour.
Cost in USD per person based on twin sharing :
No of pax
• English speaking guide on board
• Round trip of private transfer from Saigon
• 2 nights in twin/ double cabin - Le Bassac Cruise
• 3 days cruise with stops and visits as stated in the itinerary
• Meals as indicated ( B = breakfast; L = lunch; D = diner)
• Admission fees and permits where applicable
• Airfares & airport taxes
• Pre/post trip arrangement
• Visa and visa arrangement
• Travel insurance
• Other personal expenses